Sunday, January 6, 2013

Truth

I haven't written about faith in a long time. Mostly this is because I am very sensitive. I only want my words to help people see, to shed the blinders. It isn't my intention to cause pain and struggle. Although, if I am really honest with myself, I have to admit that the shedding of my blinders has been a very painful experience. And when I say painful I don't mean just hurtful, I mean the whole pain experience. I think I am ready to write about it again.

I stopped going to church. I stopped going for several reasons which I will share at some point but mostly I stopped going so that I could find truth. I am deeply committed to finding truth and I can't seem to get at it with all the Christian culture stuff distracting me. Here is a quote that I found today that sums up things nicely.

      "There is not much truth being told in the world. There never was. This has proven to be a major disappointment for some of us. When I was a child, I thought grown-ups and teachers knew the truth, because they told me they did. It took years for me to discover that the first step in finding out the truth is to begin unlearning almost everything adults had taught me, and to start doing all the things they'd told me not to do." Anne Lamott

I am working on the unlearning. It is full of pain and joy. I pray for Christians around the world to throw off their fear of the unknown and try it. Maybe we will all find the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment